The preamble of the ethical standards states that “human services offers assistance to its clients within the context of their community and environment appreciating their diversity.” The job I do, more than the means to earn my living, is a ministry. God wants us to impact our community while blessing others. Jesus talked to everyone. He approached every individual in a unique way. He spoke in parables for everyone to comprehend his message. His purpose on earth was for everyone to know God and have a relationship with Him. The same who said, “Let the children come onto me,” allowed the ill woman to touch his rob. He healed the sick, and die for all! The same Jesus who showed us how to serve others, did not favor one class or race more than others. He talked to strangers! He knew that deep inside everyone needs some form of healing. Daily, I see the need of freedom in my community. The Word of God tells me to love my neighbor as I love myself, “But if I show favoritism, I sin and I am convicted by the law as a lawbreaker” (James 2: 8-9, NIV, paraphrased).
When I read the ethical standards for human service professional the word integrity stands out. As human service professional we have the opportunity to show others who we are in Christ. We can reflect our own convictions in the way we love and encourage others, as well as keeping their information confidential. When we do this, we build trusting relationships with our clients. Paul tells Timothy, “Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly” (2 Timothy 2: 15-16, NIV).
The power that we have does not rely on training, credentials nor experience because humanity is constantly changing. The power that we carry within us comes from the knowledge of Truth! When I interpret for my clients I become a communication tool. When I coach a patient to eat healthier I am only a motivator for that person to live more abundantly. When I make a therapeutic intervention in a classroom, I am keeping in mind that I am training little ones to respect their peers to make peace in our world. The ethical standards put emphasis on thewellbeing of others. The Word says that “The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere” (James 3:17, NIV).
Contrasting the ethical standards with the Word of God, I noticed that on Section II, Statements 38 and 43 reflect tolerance regarding our client’s beliefs, promoting liberal education, abstaining from inflicting moral views of clients. Even though, as Christian workers we are commanded to “go and make disciples,” I believe we have limitations when it comes to sharing the gospel because we chose to respect God’s time for others to receive the Truth. Meanwhile, we can conduct ourselves having a Christ like attitude for the world to see who lives in us. I am convinced that we can embrace this form of tolerance and chose service evangelism, while using one the most powerful weapons to bring others to Jesus: Prayer! Overall, I believe that the ethical standards are rooted in the Word of God. Diversity, honesty, respect, integrity, confidentiality, safety and inclusion are not only duties to clients, our community and the employers that we serve. These are commanded by the Lord who made us to do great works for His Glory! Then, “the King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Mathew 25:40, NIV).


No comments:
Post a Comment